Creating new Monster, decorative items, weapons and keys

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Scorphame
Creating new Monster, decorative items, weapons and keys

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-06, 01:25

Hello people... my question is the next...

How can I create new monsters or items or keys or weapons in Cafu Engine...

if you know how do that, please explain me step by step or show me a tutorial how can I do that.

Cya

EDIT: I want rename the folder called Deathmatch with the name of my game (if it's impossible, please let me know how can I make a new folder with the game data or other things)
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Creating new Monster, decorative items, weapons and keys

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-07, 11:34

Hi Scorphame,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Scorphame wrote:How can I create new monsters or items or keys or weapons in Cafu Engine...

if you know how do that, please explain me step by step or show me a tutorial how can I do that.
http://www.cafu.de/wiki/modding:addingnewdmentities
EDIT: I want rename the folder called Deathmatch with the name of my game (if it's impossible, please let me know how can I make a new folder with the game data or other things)
It is possible, normally all that you need to do is rename the folder and the DeathMatch.dll in Code/build/... to the same matching name.
I would however recommend to rather copy the folder instead of renaming it, so you always have the DeathMatch available as a working example, no matter how much you change your own mod.
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-08, 03:22

Thanks Carsten :D

ohh and forget something... How can I add videos into the game? (.avi .flv or others)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-08, 15:24

Scorphame wrote:How can I add videos into the game? (.avi .flv or others)
Currently, unfortunately, not at all.

In order to implement this, we should add a new window type "VideoWindow" to the GUI system that is capable of playing a specified video file. Such video windows could then be used both in the 2D menu GUIs as well as in the 3D world GUIs.
It might also be possible to change the Material System so that it can accept not only regular image files as textures, but also videos. This would be the more general and favored solution.

I currently don't have time to implement this myself, but if you want to it, I'd gladly mentor and support you.
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-09, 03:33

umm ok Thanks...

but the other idea is make a scripting that move the things (you, monsters or something) and move the camera in the space...

Ohh do you know How to implement a feature that gives the possibility to Change the camera and see yourself in the game (Like Metal Gear, or Vice City)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-09, 15:17

Scorphame wrote:but the other idea is make a scripting that move the things (you, monsters or something) and move the camera in the space...

Ohh do you know How to implement a feature that gives the possibility to Change the camera and see yourself in the game (Like Metal Gear, or Vice City)
That should well be possible on the basis of existing map scripting capabilities.
The details depend on the exact nature of your requirements: Triggering something on the basis of some event (e.g. the player entering some trigger volume) works out-of-the box, scripting entire movie sequences will probably require some additional coding that match your requirements.
For one way to making a third person camera, see this example, but if you just want to script a sequence where you (seem to) see yourself, just inserting another player model that represents the player himself might be an alternative approach.
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-10, 03:22

ohh right...

I have other question but this time is Off Topic: How do you make your engine? What books did you read or what page did you see for to make your engine? Because I want learn how to make one.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-10, 11:57

Scorphame wrote:How do you make your engine? What books did you read or what page did you see for to make your engine? Because I want learn how to make one.
Well... this question is difficult to answer, because it's not just a set of books that you have to read in order to become a software developer. I read many books in the past, a small fraction is listed at http://www.cafu.de/wiki/general:faqs_us ... me_engines (which I've just augmented by three C++ references and one Lua reference at the bottom).

I also have a master's degree in computer science, that helps as well. ;)
(But is by no means a prerequisite for making a great game engine!)

Generally spoken, whenever you work in a specific area (graphics, sound, network, ...), you just get the required documentation, online or printed, and work through it.
Regarding the Cafu engine details, you have the additional convenience that you can ask me. :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-12, 18:52

Ok thanks Carsten I'm checking the links.

Another question How can i deactivate the Respawn Item in Singleplayer and change the "Map Selection" in singleplayer for Choose a Skill Level (and add Skills levels)?.

EDIT: And disable the option of "Press fire buttom to start and implement a script to making the feature to if someone kills you in the game... You begin the level again
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-13, 11:37

Scorphame wrote:Another question How can i deactivate the Respawn Item in Singleplayer
Sorry, what exactly are you referring to?
and change the "Map Selection" in singleplayer for Choose a Skill Level (and add Skills levels)?.
I'd start with adding a selection window to the "New Game" or "Player Settings" dialog in the main menu, and have it's selection saved in a console variable (similar to the other settings in "Player Settings").

Then it depends on your implementation how the skill setting should change the game: E.g. are monster shots more frequent? more accurate? cause more damage? are more monsters created? etc.
EDIT: And disable the option of "Press fire buttom to start and implement a script to making the feature to if someone kills you in the game... You begin the level again
This is controlled in file HumanPlayer.cpp. Note that the "Press FIRE (left mouse button) to respawn!" message is (in DeathMatch) used both for entering the game as well as for respawning after you've been killed, so that portion of the code cannot easily be removed, however you can modify the transition from StateOfExistance_Dead to StateOfExistance_FrozenSpectator in the code starting at line 722 to achieve whatever you want to happen when the player has been killed.
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-14, 01:41

Carsten wrote:
Scorphame wrote:Another question How can i deactivate the Respawn Item in Singleplayer
Sorry, what exactly are you referring to?
in the singleplayer mode... the items respawn automatically after 5 seconds of I picked them... so the idea is when I pick a item the items won't respawn.

And thanks for the other information... I'll try to modify the code before to the compilation
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-14, 13:53

Scorphame wrote:in the singleplayer mode... the items respawn automatically after 5 seconds of I picked them... so the idea is when I pick a item the items won't respawn.
This is handled in http://trac.cafu.de/browser/cafu/trunk/ ... pp?rev=154
I'll try to modify the code before to the compilation
I'd suggest to first try to make it compile as-is, unmodified. Once you got that, you know that the build itself works. When you then start making local changes, you do at least know where they come from. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-22, 01:27

I have 4 questions:

1) How can I deactivate the Random music for a level? (it means about select 1 music for 1 level and repeat the music after of this finished)
2) How can I add keys?
3) How can I implement Deep Water feature? (it means swim and sector without Oxygen)
4) How can I implement a damage in 1 sector? (it means for example, I can make new entities about a flame and when the player walks over the fire, the player has a little damage)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-23, 00:52

Hi,
Scorphame wrote:1) How can I deactivate the Random music for a level? (it means about select 1 music for 1 level and repeat the music after of this finished)
Please see http://trac.cafu.de/browser/cafu/trunk/ ... ev=155#L40
Scorphame wrote:2) How can I add keys?
What do you mean?
3) How can I implement Deep Water feature? (it means swim and sector without Oxygen)
4) How can I implement a damage in 1 sector? (it means for example, I can make new entities about a flame and when the player walks over the fire, the player has a little damage)
Both water and damage are best implemented with a trigger volume, see map http://trac.cafu.de/browser/cafu/trunk/ ... ap?rev=155 for an example (name "TestTrigger") and http://trac.cafu.de/browser/cafu/trunk/ ... v=155#L151 for how this trigger is accessed in a map script. (Changing the script to cause damage to the player health should be straightforward.)

An implementation for swimming (modified gravity, modified controls feedback) requires to consider in the C++ source code whether the player is inside a water volume, but I've currently no complete example ready for this (but it would certainly be a very interesting and important feature).
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-23, 05:38

Carsten wrote:
Scorphame wrote:2) How can I add keys?
What do you mean?
Add keys for open doors in the game, make a key entity and use it in some doors (Maybe the action will be do with scripts)

Hey and We will use 1 of your maps (we will change the textures and we will modify the map) can we do that or not?
other Thing... Is possible to make elevators?