Unable to select certain objects

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
void
Unable to select certain objects

Post by void » 2011-01-24, 01:23

Howdy!

I've just recently downloaded the Cafu development binary to check out CaWE and the tech demo. I really like both. Even though I've hardly dealt with level design before, getting the hang of the editor was pretty comfortable (also thanks to the detailed documentation).

After finishing my first masterpiece in CaWE, however, I decided that it didn't look quite as good as the tech demo, yet. So I just opened the demo level in the editor (holy cow, it's pretty complex) to learn some neat tricks from it.

While exploring the level and inspecting some brushes, I noticed that I wasn't able to select some objects: I keep clicking through the blood puddles on the floor and the flat pipe/wall junctions for example (I don't know how the latter are called). Even after removing the brushes behind these objects I can't click them. Dragging a selection box around them apparently works, though (somewhat tricky in a level full of brushes).

So my question is: How can I select the blood puddles and the junction thingies?

Probably these are bezier patches as decals are not implemented, yet (AFAIK).
I can, by the way, select other bezier patches in the editor without any problems (the cables, grates and fans for example).

Thanks in advance.

PS, I highly appreciate your hard work on the engine and its tool set. I'm certainly interested in using it.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Unable to select certain objects

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-25, 01:13

Hi void,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
void wrote:I've just recently downloaded the Cafu development binary to check out CaWE and the tech demo. I really like both. Even though I've hardly dealt with level design before, getting the hang of the editor was pretty comfortable (also thanks to the detailed documentation).
Thanks, it's nice to hear this! :-)
[...] So my question is: How can I select the blood puddles and the junction thingies?

Probably these are bezier patches as decals are not implemented, yet (AFAIK).
I can, by the way, select other bezier patches in the editor without any problems (the cables, grates and fans for example).
Oh. Oh. :oops: I thought that I had fixed related problems a while ago, but apparently I didn't - I can reproduce this here. I'll look into this right away!

(And many thanks for reporting this!! I've filed a ticket at http://trac.cafu.de/ticket/61 for this issue. Should you experience more bugs, feel free to file additional tickets. ;-) )
PS, I highly appreciate your hard work on the engine and its tool set. I'm certainly interested in using it.
Thanks, that too is good to hear!
Whenever you've a question, just ask, I'm happy to help. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-25, 21:07

I just fixed this (r240 closes ticket 61), and uploaded a new binary release, available at the Downloads page. Please let me know if it works! :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
void

Post by void » 2011-01-26, 01:30

Now that was a fast fix (and, furthermore, your 1337th post) - thank you!
It's working fine now. :)

More questions to come for sure.
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-02-04, 01:15

aaahhh, such a pain to download, i live in St. Louis, U.S. So it takes quite awhile. There a U.S. mirror?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-02-04, 13:28

Saniro wrote:There a U.S. mirror?
Sorry, no, not for the development releases.
When we make the next stable release (probably when the Model Editor is ready), there'll be big news announcements again and I guess that the big file hosters will pick it up, too.
Best regards,
Carsten