Placing Meshes on the terrain

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Jgolden
Placing Meshes on the terrain

Post by Jgolden » 2012-06-12, 02:55

Hello-

I'm new to the Cafu Engine, and found it while in the search for an engine for my latest project. After going through the features list, I found support for everything I require, except that I didn't see anything in regards to if a player can place something from an inventory (a static mesh) on the terrain in a networked environment where the mesh would show up on the terrain of others playing the game as-well. Is this possible in the Cafu engine? :-)
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Placing Meshes on the terrain

Post by Carsten » 2012-06-13, 00:40

Hi Jgolden,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
[...] where the mesh would show up on the terrain of others playing the game as-well. Is this possible in the Cafu engine? :-)
Yes, that's possible.
This is a feature that is not implemented in the sample code, but with some C++ programming it is easy to add: Basically, it works like throwing a grenade: You create a new entity, give it the desired properties, and place it into the world. The new entity sits in the world until it is picked up by another entity, e.g. a player.

If you need more detailed instructions or help, please let us know.
Best regards,
Carsten