Can I run VSMW as a game like DeathMatch?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
alansalexer
Can I run VSMW as a game like DeathMatch?

Post by alansalexer » 2012-04-30, 09:18

I'm new to Cafu, in fact , I just downloaded the src and compiled it under Ubuntu 11.10. It works fine when I run DeathMatch by typing

Code: Select all

./build/linux2/g++/debug/Ca3DE/Cafu
in terminal.
However, I noticed that there is also a directory called VSMW in Games. Does that mean it's also a game that I can run? When I type "./build/linux2/g++/debug/Ca3DE/Cafu -svGame VSWM" in terminal, I got an error

Cafu: Libs/TypeSys.cpp?50?cf::TypeSys::TypeInfoT::TypeInfoT(cf::TypeSys::TypeInfoManT&, const char*, const char*, cf::TypeSys::TypeInfoT::CreateInstanceT, const luaL_Reg*): Assertion “CreateInstance!=__null” failed.
Why does this happen?

By the way, I downloaded Textures.zip and Worlds.zip, unzipped and copied them into DeathMatch. But when I run DeathMatch, I always get this message

Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip"
Though it runs fine, I don't get what this warning means. What are TechDemo.zip and SkyDomes.zip doing for?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Can I run VSMW as a game like DeathMatch?

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-30, 10:13

Hi alansalexer,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
alansalexer wrote:However, I noticed that there is also a directory called VSMW in Games. Does that mean it's also a game that I can run?
VSWM used to be another (tiny) example game, but is very old and and this time unsupported, and known not to work. We plan to eventually remove it (and replace it e.g. with a "Minimal" example game, which would be a lot more useful), but have not yet reached a final decision.
By the way, I downloaded Textures.zip and Worlds.zip, unzipped and copied them into DeathMatch. But when I run DeathMatch, I always get this message

Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip"
Though it runs fine, I don't get what this warning means. What are TechDemo.zip and SkyDomes.zip doing for?
That's ok.
The Cafu Engine implements a virtual file system, that is, it can read files also from .zip files. We used to ship many texture images in the TechDemo.zip archive and the skydomes in SkyDomes.zip, but these days the TechDemo textures ship normally as individual files as part of Textures.zip (which you have to manually decompress as documented). Some skydomes however still ship in SkyDomes.zip.

In summary, it's ok that the TechDemo.zip can not be registered (it finds the individual image files directly in the related folder), whereas SkyDomes.zip can.
Best regards,
Carsten
alansalexer

Post by alansalexer » 2012-04-30, 10:48

Thanks for your reply! I just felt confused though it works fine. Now I'm clear. It seems there are still a lot to do with the docs about Cafu. I hope I can help you with that later when I finish my homework project which I want to finish by implementing a racing game based on Cafu. :cheesy:
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-30, 14:40

Good to hear that!
Help is always welcome!
If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten