Which Linux?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
scott
Which Linux?

Post by scott » 2006-12-08, 05:57

Hi Carsten, which Linux distro did you build CA3DE on? I tried the engine on Ubuntu and it just flickers badly with a framerate of about 12. But that could also be because my install is kind of acting weird with a few annoying bugs in general. So I plan on trying a different distro to see how I like it, I want to use the same version you have so I have something fun to do with it :)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-12-08, 11:39

Hi Scott,

well, I currently develop the Linux version on Debian Sarge (but plan to switch to Kubuntu when I next find a reason to setup my harddrive anew).

Anyways, I don't think that you should choose your distro dependent on Ca3DE, although it's certainly a very charming idea. ;) In fact, if it runs at all, that's a very good sign already.

Now about your FPS: Well, a very common (and difficult) problem on Linux systems is to get the 3D hardware-acceleration drivers setup right. The 12 FPS certainly sound like there is a problem with the driver here, you are likely running with the systems default MESA software-only driver.

You can learn more about this with the (Linux command-line) program glxinfo and the (Ca3DE in-game console) command "gl_Info" (also try glInfo, I changed this so much recently that I currently don't remember which spelling is right).

Let us know the output of these commands, they're the key to getting more insight into the question.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2006-12-08, 15:13

Well it turns out that 3d acceleration isn't running, I'll just head over to the Ubuntu forums and find the answer :)
scott

Post by scott » 2006-12-09, 06:23

Finally got it going and it works just fine. Whew!!!