The Ultimative WIP Thread

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Sindwiller
The Ultimative WIP Thread

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-23, 12:41

Hi fellow CA3DE Users!

You can post your WIP Screenies of Maps, Models, Effects, Textures or what ever related on CA3DE, in here!

Wfr, Sindwiller

(Can some one make this Thread sticky?)
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-04-23, 16:28

To make this thread more structured, here are some guidelines you should follow:
  • This thread is supposed to show wip images, but with infos. Its not a thread for technical questions, these are supposed to be postet in the specific subforums (like materials, textures, sounds etc.)
  • Critics must be of some value, so no "i like it" or "this is crap" posts, always tell people why you like things or why not.
    We delete any useless comments..
Also make sure not to post too big screens, better use links, or thumbnail based image links.
Otherwise loadings time could get really crazy ;)
Last edited by Kai on 2006-04-23, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-23, 16:30

You dont mind if i do? :wink:

Those are WIP Screenies of my first map for my project (still layout, thought). It also includes the infamous "pipe01.ase" model that maked so much problems :D.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wfr, Sindwiller

EDIT: Oh sry, i didnt readed your last Post Kai! Sry :oops:
Last edited by Sindwiller on 2006-04-23, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-04-23, 16:32

Okay, Kai, great, and thanks! Go ahead! :)
Best regards,
Carsten
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-23, 17:50

Sindwiller, i really like your map.

The way you are using the brushes to create transitions between walls, ceilings and the floor is awesome :) I also like the scaling - with a sniper-rifle or something this map would be just fun :)

A tip to improve the map:
I noticed that there is almost no difference in high in the map - this lets the map look monotone.

A second floor/level (Etage) or at least some higher passages or holes etc would not just be an addition in gameplay terms, but also improve the visual quality. :)

PS: If you get this baby done I'm sure that it has really HIGH chances to be included in future Ca3DE demo releases =)
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-23, 18:33

Thanks for the feedback Thrawn!

(just a small info: The map is in a space-station)
The way you are using the brushes to create transitions between walls, ceilings and the floor is awesome
The walls of the starting corridor will be textured with transparent textures. So you will see an space background with stars and different clouds (skydome). Additionally, i will add some stacks for more realism (something must hold this corridor thought. Its dynamic and leads from a ship into the station) At the end of the corridor will be a door, that opens after a time (Scenario is infiltration thought).
I noticed that there is almost no difference in high in the map - this lets the map look monotone
I noticed that too... but to late. I will fix that some way. Either a brush or a model should do that.
A second floor/level (Etage) or at least some higher passages or holes etc would not just be an addition in gameplay terms, but also improve the visual quality.
The 4 smaller corridors will have doors at the end too. They will lead to different parts of the station (machine room, ship entrance, commando room etc. ). Neither the map, nor the concept is not finished.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-23, 19:07

Sounds like a singleplayer map concept!?
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-23, 19:34

Thrawn wrote:Sounds like a singleplayer map concept!?
Youve got it :D

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-24, 19:04

AWWW SHIT!!!!!!!!!! When i installed the new SDK, i forgot to copy the .cmap into the new SDK :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wfr, Sindwiller

I really liked Steam...
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-24, 19:13

Well can't you find the old directory in the recycle bin?
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-24, 19:22

Thrawn wrote:Well can't you find the old directory in the recycle bin?
Ive emptied it... like everytime i put something into the recycle bin...

wfr, Sindwiller

EDIT: I tried to restore the map but the restore-program didnt find it :cry: 5 day work for nothing...
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-24, 19:42

"Wenn eine Tür sich schließt dann öffnet sich eine andere". ;)

This gives you the opportunity to approach a new layout with differences in height and maybe - a deathmatch map would be at this state better ;) ;)
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-24, 19:45

This gives you the opportunity to approach a new layout with differences in height and maybe - a deathmatch map would be at this state better
I want to develop a game... and its not deathmatch :)
It is Singleplayer.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-29, 12:30

Well, before i go now for 10 days away, i want to show some texture test screens:

http://images.ca3de-community.de/main.p ... ewsIndex=1
http://images.ca3de-community.de/main.p ... ewsIndex=1

In the second image, the light seems very dark. But i have placed 18 lights oO. Is that a bug?

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-04-29, 14:44

Nice screens ^^

No its not a bug: Lights in the editor are "classic" static lights like in HL1
but the player and trinity are having a moving, dynamic light attached to them. So the dynamic light prevents the room from beeing completly dark.
This is an relict from first tests with stencil shadows ..
It will be removed the next release and im sure more lights types will be added sooner or later.

Tip: increase the rgb value of your light
Try settings around 300 or more